Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Lower case letters in therapy

Today's topic: therapy. 

First, let me summarize why I'm going to therapy. I was involved in a very scary car accident in October. After the accident, I experienced anxiety on a level with which I was unfamiliar. I have been seeing a therapist regularly since January. I am suffering from and being treated for post-traumatic stress disorder (which is another post for another day).

(For what it's worth, I don't believe that identifying a "why" is a prerequisite for therapy. If you want to go, you should go!)

I am "little d depressed", as my therapist would say.

In therapy, the lower case letter is used as a tool. For me, it gives me perspective. It separates the bad from the ugly. I've experienced trauma and I've experienced Trauma. I don't think I've ever been Depressed. But right now, I am depressed.

What this means for me personally: I sleep more. I hibernate, basically. Nothing sounds more appealing to me than a night in, with Netflix or a good book, avoiding responsibility and human interaction. I rush through my to do list each day so that I can be at home, by myself, as soon as possible. When I have plans, I make an exit strategy before I even show up. I feel less emotionally engaged with... everything.

This usually lasts for a few weeks at a time, and it happens several times a year. It is not debilitating. It does not make me question my worth. But it is something that I have to work hard to overcome when I'm already feeling completely drained.

With all of that being said, tomorrow I will hit the reset button and fight my way back to normalcy. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment